Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump condemned violence against protesters at his campaign rallies during Thursday’s debate in Miami, Florida, but quickly twisted the truth to show his supporters in a favorable light.
In response to a question about whether he condones violence at his rallies, Trump said he does not. But he went on to blame protesters for the surge in assaults. He added that local law enforcement officers are patrolling the events, not his private security. He then went on to heap praise on police officers around the nation.
From TIME magazine:
“People come with tremendous passion and love for the country… and when they see what’s going on in this country, they have anger that is unbelievable,” Trump said. “They don’t like seeing bad trade deals, they don’t like seeing higher taxes, they don’t like seeing a loss of their jobs.”
“We have some protesters who are bad dudes,” Trump continued. “They have done bad things. They are swinging, they are really dangerous, and they get in there and they start hitting people.”
There has not been a documented case of protester on supporter violence at Trump rallies, and Trump did not offer specific evidence for this claim.
78-Year-Old Trump Supporter Charged With Punching BLM Protester In The Face
A 78-year-old White man attending a Donald Trump rally in North Carolina was arrested and charged Thursday with assault after punching a Black Lives Matter protester in the face.
John McGraw was at the Wednesday night event with several other zealous supporters of the Republican presidential hopeful when he threw the punch, WTVR reports.
McGraw was charged with two counts of assault and disorderly conduct after video images of the punch went viral. Due to the quick work of the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office, they were able to obtain McGraw’s identity and make the arrest.
After the rally, McGraw was interviewed by Inside Edition, telling them that the man “deserved it.”
“Yes, he deserved it. The next time we see him, we might have to kill him. We don’t know who he is. He might be with a terrorist organization,” he says on the video.
McGraw appears in the video to punch a black protester in the face as he was being escorted out of the venue with a group of protesters by a half-dozen police officers. The incident occurred during Trump’s rally Wednesday night in Fayetteville, North Carolina.
The department has also opened an internal investigation probing whether the officers in the video, who did not detain or arrest McGraw on site, should have done so, Swain said.
McGraw’s bond was set at $2,500 secured, and his next court date is April 6.
Donald Trump’s campaign refused to comment on the incident.
McGraw’s arrest adds to a continuing trend of intolerance from Trump supporters when protesters enter rallies or gatherings where the mogul is campaigning.
It is also the first time a Trump supporter has been formally charged after similar assaults captured on video have failed to yield arrests.
Rakeem Jones, the 26-year-old African-American man who was assaulted, told The Washington Post that the punch “came out of nowhere.”
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
“Some Are Bad Dudes,” Trump Blames Protesters For Violence At Rallies was originally published on newsone.com