Powerful White men in Hollywood have been at the center of seemingly nonstop allegations of sexual misconduct, but all that changed literally overnight when Black film maker John Singleton was accused of sexual harassment.
The director of “Boyz n the Hood” sexually harassed Danielle Young during the American Black Film Festival this past June in Miami, the Black journalist wrote in The Root late Monday afternoon.
Young was conducting an interview with Singleton in a room filled with public relations executives when he grabbed her wrist as she was removing the microphone after the interview, she wrote. After Singleton pulled her in and said, “Bring that juiciness over here,” he leaned forward and kissed her on the cheek, Young recalled.
Moments later, when people in the room were taking pictures with the director, Singleton allegedly grabbed her by the waist and remarked, “Oooh, I’m gonna grab on tight to you,” after she reluctantly agreed to take a photo with him.
Another woman in the room who witnessed Singleton’s actions told Young the director made similar sexual advances toward her, Young wrote.
Sexual harassment for Black women in the workplace has its roots in American slavery, according to a study published by Washington University Law School in 2012. Nowadays, the troubling trend can begin as early as elementary school and carry a lifetime of implications.
“Their harassment is often more public, more violent, and inflicts longer-term damage than that of their nonblack peers,” researcher Sonja C. Tonnesen wrote in a report published in 2013.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
New Sexual Harassment Allegation Puts Spotlight On Powerful Black Men In Hollywood was originally published on newsone.com