Minnesota prosecutors filed terrorism charges against a man on Monday, but his identity was surprising given the racial bias involved in the alleged crimes.
Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman charged 55-year-old Lloyd Edward Johnson, a white man from a Minneapolis suburb, with making felony terroristic threats and carrying a gun without a permit. Johnson was accused of waving a gun at a group of Somali-American teenagers at a McDonald’s in Eden Prairie on Nov. 19.
“Mr. Johnson did everything he could to provoke this incident, by insulting the young lady in front of him, to confronting a second person and finally pulling a gun after he already had moved away from the confrontation. While he is innocent until proven guilty, this is outrageous behavior and it is only through sheer luck that no one was injured by his actions,” Freeman said in a statement.
The state’s large Somali Muslim community has been the focus of multiple terrorism investigations. In 2016, a jury found three men guilty of federal charges that they tried to travel to Syria to join the Islamic State. At the same time, the community has been the target of terror attacks, many of which have gone unreported to federal authorities.
Johnson initiated a confrontation while standing in line behind the teenagers at the restaurant, Freeman said.
Two of the girls had trouble paying for their meal through a digital app.
“You were probably trying to pay with EBT,” Johnson said, referring to the electronic benefit transfer card used by low-income people to access their federal benefits.
After walking away, Johnson returned seconds later to video record the argument with his cell phone. “He then told everyone to back up and pulled his handgun from his waistband before walking out the door,” according to the prosecutor.
A Disturbing Timeline Of Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger Killing Botham Jean In His Own Home
1. August of 2018Source:false 1 of 24
2. September 6, 2018Source:false 2 of 24
3. September 9, 2018Source:false 3 of 24
4. September 10, 2018Source:false 4 of 24
5. September 11, 2018Source:false 5 of 24
6. September 12, 2018Source:false 6 of 24
7. September 13, 2018Source:false 7 of 24
8. September 14, 2018Source:false 8 of 24
9. September 18, 2018Source:Radio One 9 of 24
10. September 21, 2018Source:false 10 of 24
11. September 24, 2018Source:false 11 of 24
12. September 26, 2018Source:false 12 of 24
13. September 29, 2018Source:false 13 of 24
14. October 5, 2018Source:false 14 of 24
15. October 17, 2018Source:false 15 of 24
16. October 17, 2018Source:false 16 of 24
17. October 19, 2018Source:false 17 of 24
18. October 22, 2018Source:false 18 of 24
19. October 22, 2018Source:false 19 of 24
20. October 29, 2018Source:false 20 of 24
21. November 6, 2018Source:false 21 of 24
22.22 of 24
23. November 26, 2018Source:Dallas Police Department 23 of 24
24. November 30, 201824 of 24
White Man Charged With Terrorism For Threatening Somali-Americans was originally published on newsone.com