It looks like Huggies is making some history for itself.
On July 8, the pampers powerhouse debuted new packaging for its “Special Delivery” diapers, boasting a beautiful Black father, a first of its kind in the company’s 41-year-old history.
It’s also part of a larger campaign that showcased other dads (and moms) as well.
One of the fathers modeling for the Daddy-friendly packaging box is Chicago-native Orlando Thompson and his 3-year-old daughter Soraya Lattimore. Thompson told USA Today that he is honored to be part of a push to change the way we look at our fatherhood.
“There’s a stereotype that’s out there that dads in general, not just a particular race, are not connected to their kids and not affectionate,” Thompson stressed, adding, “This should have been displaced a long time ago.”
So why now for this much-needed representation?
“We really believe in celebrating all parents and the great job that parents are doing,” Huggies North America brand director Kristine Rhode recently told USA Today.
She added, “When you think about the important role that dads have in the family today and how that continues to grow, we wanted to make sure they were equally celebrated.”
We absolutely love these images, especially given the negative stereotypes about African-American fathers that persist in society. It’s empowering to see our fathers being the amazing caretakers we know them to be.
Naturally, we’re not the only ones praising this Huggies campaign. Social media celebrated it as well:
Black Celebrity Men Who Make Fatherhood Look Good
1. Jay Z and Blue IvySource:Getty 1 of 22
2. Jay Z and Blue IvySource:Getty 2 of 22
3. John Legend and LunaSource:Getty 3 of 22
4. John Legend and LunaSource:Getty 4 of 22
5. Idris Elba and IsanSource:Getty 5 of 22
6. Russel Wilson, Sienna Princess Wilson and Future Zahir WilburnSource:Getty 6 of 22
7. Kanye West and North WestSource:Getty 7 of 22
8. Kanye West and North WestSource:Getty 8 of 22
9. Tyrese Gibson and Shayla Somer GibsonSource:Getty 9 of 22
10. Wiz Khalifa and Sebastian Taylor ThomazSource:Getty 10 of 22
11. Wiz Khalifa and Sebastian Taylor ThomazSource:Getty 11 of 22
12. Stephen Curry and Riley CurrySource:Getty 12 of 22
13. Stephen Curry and Riley CurrySource:Getty 13 of 22
14.Source:Getty 14 of 22
15. Lebron James and LeBron Raymone James Jr.Source:Getty 15 of 22
16. Will Smith, Willow Smith, Jaden Smith and Trey SmithSource:Getty 16 of 22
17. Will Smith and Willow SmithSource:Getty 17 of 22
18. Will and Jaden SmithSource:Getty 18 of 22
19. Kim Porter, Christian Casey Combs, Quincy Brown, Sean "Diddy" Combs, D'Lila Star Combs and Jessie James CombsSource:Getty 19 of 22
20. Diddy, D'Lila Star Combs, Chance Combs and Jessie James CombsSource:Getty 20 of 22
21. President Obama and Malia ObamaSource:Getty 21 of 22
22. President Barack Obama, Sasha and MaliaSource:Getty 22 of 22
For The First Time, Huggies Puts A Black Father On Its Packaging! was originally published on hellobeautiful.com