March is Women’s History Month and we are celebrating by highlighting the many women who play a major part in stories told in The Bible. Today we are spotlighting Jezebel which means “Where is the Prince?”
1 Kings 16:29-33
1 Kings 18:1-19:2
1 Kings 21:1-25
Join Our Text Club! Text “PraiseDC” to 71007
Jezebel was a Baal religious woman who spread idolatry throughout Israel. She was the daughter of the priest-king of Sidon and reigned as queen in northern Israel about 60 years after King Solomon’s death. She was powerful, cunning, arrogant, and actively opposed God, even in the face of indisputable proofs of his sovereignty. To continue her control and force all of Israel to worshipping the false god Baal, she hunted and killed all the prophets of God she could lay hands on. But one prophet escaped, Elijah, who challenged Jezebel’s evil ways. After many battles, Jezebel’s arrogance led to a shameless death. She was a woman who chose to harden her heart and suffer the consequences. If Jezebel thought about her inevitable end, her story may have been different.
Scriptures To Read Around Jezebel’s Story
JONAH 2:8 – Those who ding to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs.
ROMANS 5:20 – Where sin increased, grace increased all the more.
2 CORINTHIANS 5:20-21 – I will repay you for the years the locusts have eaten… You will have plenty to eat, until you are full, and you will praise the name of the LORD your God, who has worked wonders for you.
JAMES 2:13 – Mercy triumphs over judgment!
PSALM 90:11-12 – Who knows the power of your anger? For your wrath is as great as the fear that is due you. Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.
- How did Jezebel relate to her husband?
- How did she relate to other people?
- What is significant about the fact that Jezebel “painted her eyes” and “arranged her hair” (2 Kings 9:30)? Why did she do this? What does it say about her?
- How do you feel about the fact that Jezebel got what she deserved? In general, do you like to see people get what they deserve? Why or Why not?
- Take a minute to imagine yourself as strong and evil as Jezebel. Then imagine yourself as strong as Jezebel but good. Let your mind go with the picture. What would you do if you were that strong but good?
Source: Women of the Bible by Ann Spangler & Jean E. Syswerda
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Content in Your Inbox:
5 Scriptures To Help You Stay Focused This Week
- Egypt: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Sudan: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Morocco: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Tunisia: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Libya: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
Women of the Bible: Jezebel was originally published on praisedc.com
Why Are The Police Called "12"
Top 10 Most Notorious Prisons In The U.S.
Top 10 Richest Gangsters Of All Time
Happy World Africa Day! Learn About The 54 Countries of Africa
Famous Members Of Alpha Phi Alpha
Let's Support TLC's Newest Family of Multiples, The Derricos With 14 Babies On Babies
The Al Sharpton Show
Famous Members Of Phi Beta Sigma