Listen Live
WOL Featured Video


Delvin Barnes (pictured right), the 37-year-old man accused of the brazen kidnapping of nurse’s aide Carlesha Freeland-Gaither, 22, (pictured) from a street in Philadelphia and wrestling her in to his vehicle reportedly is a “vicious predator” who has a long history of violence toward women, according to NBC10 Philadelphia, which cites court documents.

RELATED: Carlesha Freeland-Gaither, Kidnapped From Philly Street, Found Alive In Md.

In one case, records say Barnes held his estranged wife captive, and in another case, he allegedly kidnapped a 16-year-old Virginia girl, according to the television news station.

“He’s a thug and this is what he does apparently,” Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey said at a news conference about the alleged abductor. “He’s a vicious predator. He’s off the streets.”

NBC10 reports:

Barnes’ uncle Lamar Barnes told NBC10 his nephew’s father is a minister and he was raised by good parents. Despite this, he also told NBC10 he isn’t “necessarily surprised” by the allegations against his nephew.

“Some men grew up having problems with women, so they take it out on women,” Barnes said. “Apparently, he’s one of them.”

NBC10 reports that Barnes has a lengthy criminal history, including an incident on Nov. 28, 2005, when he allegedly held his estranged wife captive inside her Philadelphia home. The woman reportedly arrived home about 9:45 p.m. and found him there, even after she obtained a protective order against him because of past abuse.

As she was going to bed around 10:15 p.m., Barnes jumped out of her bedroom closet and tried to talk to her, records say. She then told him to leave or she would call police, but Barnes refused, according to court records.

As she went to call 911, Barnes jumped on top of her, grabbed her face and began digging his nails into her skin, court records say. He allegedly hit her in the face, choked her, and threatened to kill her.

Barnes then allegedly told her he’d only stop beating her if she took off her clothes. The woman told police she removed her clothes, fearing for her life. She accused Barnes of forcing her to have sex with him three separate times throughout the night, and she told police Barnes forced her to give him oral sex and threatened her with several objects.

The next morning, the woman begged Barnes to let her use the phone and call her parents, telling him she talked to her mother every day, officials said. When she called, she alerted them to her crisis and her mom called 911, according to the report.

A short time later, the woman’s mother and father walked into the home. As he heard them come in, Barnes, enraged, began to beat the victim again, according to court records. The records say the victim’s father ran into the room with a baseball bat and tried to get Barnes off his daughter. Barnes then allegedly began to beat the victim’s mother, ran into the kitchen, and grabbed a knife.

He was arrested later as he tried to flee the scene, but this is not the only incident on his criminal record.

According to court records, Barnes was found guilty in 2006 of aggravated assault, criminal trespassing, false imprisonment, simple assault, reckless endangerment, and other offenses for the attack. He was acquitted of rape, unlawful restraint, burglary, and attempted involuntary deviant sexual intercourse…

Authorities later issued a warrant for his arrest related to a teen rape case he was being investigated for in Charles City County, Va.

The teen was reported missing back on Oct. 1. Two days later, the girl arrived at a business on Route 106 in Charles City County, Virginia, two miles from Barnes’ home, investigators said. The girl was naked, bleeding, and covered in burns from gasoline and bleach, according to police.

Federal authorities said the charges for that case attempted capital murder, assault, malicious injury with acid, forcible rape and other related offenses.


Barnes , who is accused of abducting Freeland-Gaither from a dark street as she walked home, was arrested Wednesday. Freeland-Gaither’s abduction on Sunday garnered widespread attention after police released footage of the incident that was caught on video, which went viral.

Tipsters, who watched the video and other footage of him at an ATM, helped police track down Barnes following an extensive manhunt. Now, Barnes is being held on a bench warrant from Virginia for alleged capital attempted murder in Charles City County, the report says. He also faces federal charges in connection to Freeland-Gaither’s kidnapping, police said. He is set to be arraigned today via video conference from jail, CNN reports.

RELATED: Cops Release Terrifying Abduction Footage Of Philadelphia Woman [VIDEO]

Freeland-Gaither was released early Thursday from Maryland’s Howard County General Hospital, after reuniting with her family following a harrowing three days.

By all accounts, Freeland-Gaither is lucky.

“I’m taking my baby home,” Keisha Gaither, the victim’s overjoyed mother said at a news conference Wednesday night. “Thank you.”

Suspect In Philly Kidnapping Also Held Wife, Teen Captive  was originally published on