Glenn Ford was freed last year after serving 30 years on Louisiana’s death row for a crime he didn’t commit. If that wasn’t bad enough, he was denied cancer treatment for a condition that later became terminal while he was locked up, reports the Huffington Post.
Now, in a final bit of indignation, the 65-year-old man will not receive state-mandated compensation for the time he spent on death row, a judge ruled Friday, because he allegedly knew about plans for the robbery that led to the killing and didn’t stop it, the report says.
The Huffington Post reports:
Caddo Parish District Judge Katherine Dorroh on Friday denied Ford compensation, saying that while Ford did not commit the murder that led to his wrongful imprisonment, he was “proven to be guilty of lesser crimes and was not an innocent man.” The judge said Ford knew about plans for the robbery that led to the killing and didn’t stop it. Further, he attempted to destroy evidence by pawning items taken in the robbery and tried to find buyers for the murder weapon used by men Ford implicated in the murder.
Ford’s attorney Gary Clements plans to appeal the decision, he said in a statement:
We are disappointed with the court’s decision today denying Glenn Ford compensation for the 30 years he spent on death row for a crime the State of Louisiana agrees he did not commit. In its denial, the court adopted the State’s argument opposing compensation. The ruling inflated the fact that Mr. Ford knew the people who committed the crime and insinuated that Mr. Ford was more involved in the crime than the facts in the record indicate. This is the latest in a series of great injustices that Mr. Ford has suffered over the last 30 years.
Ford was convicted in the 1984 death of Isadore Rozeman, a 56-year-old Shreveport jeweler and watchmaker, the report says.
After “credible evidence” surfaced corroborating Ford’s story that he was not part of Rozeman’s murder, Caddo County prosecutors asked that Ford’s conviction be vacated and he walked free in March 2014.
It’s unclear if Clements’ efforts to appeal will work, but former prosecutor A.M. Stroud III published an open letter apologizing to Ford for the role he played in his conviction, adding that the 65-year-old man “deserves every penny owed to him under the compensation statute.”
SOURCE: Huffington Post | VIDEO SOURCE: NDN
Exonerated Man Denied Restitution After 30 Years On Death Row was originally published on newsone.com
Top 10 Most Notorious Prisons In The U.S.
Top 10 Richest Gangsters Of All Time
Woman Locked And Tortured In Philly Basement For 10 Years Sues City
Why Are The Police Called "12"
The Top 5 Most Corrupt U.S. Police Officers Of All-Time
Famous Members Of Phi Beta Sigma
Famous Members Of Alpha Phi Alpha
Dad Furious After Teen Daughter's Sex Tape Goes Viral