Leave a comment
Suge Knight

Source: (Photo by Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images) / Getty

Marion “Suge” Knight, Dr. Dre, and Ice Cube have been named in a wrongful death lawsuit  [PDF] filed by the family of Terry Carter, the man who was killed in a hit and run by Knight earlier this year, TIME reports.

Carter’s widow, Lillian Carter, filed the suit on Wednesday in Los Angeles against the men and Universal Studios. Carter claims Universal was aware of the ongoing issues Dr. Dre and the former Death Row honcho had over the years, but didn’t enlist proper security to keep Knight off the set of the upcoming N.W.A. biopic, Straight Outta Compton.

The complaint reads: “This lawsuit concerns the tragic tale of how reckless corporate greed, disguised as the quest for authenticity, [led] to a foreseeable altercation that resulted in the death of a successful businessman.”

Filmmaker Cle “Bone” Sloan, who was present during the original altercation that resulted in Carter’s death, was also mentioned in the suit over his alleged affiliation with local gang members.

Despite warnings from Dr. Dre to the security team to keep Knight away from the production, he was still able to appear on set. The suit also alleges that Universal was negligent in its hiring of Cle “Bone” Sloan as an adviser on the production. Sloan’s altercation with Knight in the fast food restaurant parking lot immediately proceeded the incident that led to Carter’s death.

Sloan allegedly became allies with local gangs so the film could shoot in Compton. He was also at the center of confusion during Knight’s preliminary hearing after refusing to identify Knight as driver of the vehicle. Claiming he only attended the hearing because he was subpoenaed, Sloan said he didn’t want to be labeled a “snitch,” and said he didn’t remember the key moments of Knight and Carter’s argument on January 29.

Knight is in jail facing charges of murder, attempted murder, and a hit-and-run. He is still on a $25 million bond.

As for the wrongful death suit, Dr. Dre’s lawyer Howard King called it “preposterous.”

Knight is scheduled to stand trial for the case July 7.

SOURCE: TIME | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty 

SEE ALSO:  Suge Knight Pleads Not Guilty To Murder In Hit-And-Run Case

Why Dr. Dre, Ice Cube Succeeded And NWA Did Not

Suge Knight, Dr. Dre, & Ice Cube Named In Wrongful Death Suit was originally published on newsone.com

Also On WOL-AM 1450:
comments – add yours
×