Romantic thriller The Perfect Guy exceeded predictions at the box office, opening strong and taking the top spot in ticket sales over the weekend.
According to Entertainment Weekly, the film — starring Sanaa Lathan, Morris Chestnut, and Michael Ealy — was expected to gross between $15 to $17 million. However, it raked in a cool $26.7 million.
In The Perfect Guy, Lathan plays a lobbyist named Leah who partakes in a steamy and dangerous love affair with Carter (Ealy) after leaving her boyfriend Dave (Chestnut).
The release of the thriller makes it the fifth weekend in a row that an African-American film has dominated the box office. For the past four weeks, N.W.A biopic Straight Outta Compton ruled the roost with a total of $155 million in domestic sales.
Lathan posted her excitement on Instagram Monday morning, noting that African-American audiences are interested in more than slavery or other films that prey on our history and stereotypes.
Ealy also praised Lathan for her role in the film.
Critics rated the film an A-, according CinemaScore.
Here’s the full list of how The Perfect Guy and other films did over the weekend, provided by Digital Spy.
1. (-) The Perfect Guy – $26,700,000
2. (-) The Visit – $25,690,000
3. (1) War Room – $7,400,000
4. (3) A Walk in the Woods – $4,620,099
5. (5) Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation – $4,150,000
6. (2) Straight Outta Compton – $4,090,000
7. (6) No Escape – $2,879,000
8. (4) The Transporter Refueled – $2,700,000
9. (-) 90 Minutes in Heaven – $2,160,911
10. (9) Un Gallo con Muchos Huevos – $1,900,000
Don’t Miss Our Hottest Stories! Get The NewsOne Flip App for iPhone: Flip, Skip — Or Send Us a Tip!
- Sudan: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Tunisia: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Algeria: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Libya: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Egypt: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
Sanaa Lathan’s Romantic Thriller “The Perfect Guy” Tops Box Office With $26.7 Million Debut was originally published on newsone.com