As President Obama’s time in the White House dwindles down, Republican senators are trying to ensure that his administration doesn’t bring in an influx of new hires before Donald Trump takes office. According to the Washington Post, two GOP senators issued a letter to President Obama asking that he freeze federal hiring.
The two representatives, Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) and Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee Chairman Ron Johnson (R-Wis.), say that they want to make sure that federal workers hired during President Obama’s tenure don’t clash with President-elect Donald Trump’s administration. “Because we know that you are sincere in overseeing a smooth transition, we hope members of your administration will resist the urge to accelerate the hiring of career civil servants who may not share the priorities of the new administration,” read the letter. The letter states that the plan would implement a smooth presidential transition and would be a “gesture of bipartisanship and goodwill.”
Both Johnson and Tillis want President Obama to put a halt on hiring, with the exception of health and public safety positions, from now through January 20 when Donald Trump is inaugurated. If the hiring freeze were to happen, it would possibly be followed by yet another one. One of the elements of Trump’s plan for his first 100 days in office is to put a hold on hiring for federal jobs that aren’t related to the military, safety and public health.
The White House has not released a statement about the request.
SOURCE: Washington Post
Good 'Ol Days: Barack Obama Was Nominated For President By The DNC 11 Years Ago
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Two TermsSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 8 of 14
9. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 9 of 14
10. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 10 of 14
11. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 11 of 14
12. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 12 of 14
13. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 13 of 14
14 of 14
"The future rewards those who press on. I don't have time to feel sorry for myself. I don't have time to complain. I'm going to press on."— BrooklynDad_Defiant! (@mmpadellan) February 18, 2019
-- President Barack Obama
Happy #PresidentsDay, Mr. President! We ❤️ you!@BarackObama pic.twitter.com/xhQEb4OG1U
White Privilege: GOP Senators Ask President Obama To Halt Federal Hiring was originally published on newsone.com