The White Georgia county commissioner who called Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.) a “racist pig” on social media has rejected calls for his resignation, Atlanta’s WSB-TV reports.
“I don’t know where we go from here, but resigning is not it,” Gwinnett County Commissioner Tommy Hunter told the news outlet. “We don’t resign because of something somebody says.”
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution published a screenshot of Hunter’s inflammatory comments, which he posted on Saturday. In the Facebook post, which was deleted by Monday, Hunter says “John Lewis is racist pig,” labels Democrats as “Demon-rats” and calls Democrats “a bunch of idiots” for believing that the presidential polls were correct and disputing the actual outcome of the presidential election.
Hunter’s post was in response to Lewis saying that he did not view President-elect Donald Trump as “a legitimate president” because of U.S. intelligence agencies’ concluded that Russia used cyber espionage to help Trump win the election.
Hunter came under fire for his disparaging remarks about Lewis.
“Mr. Hunter is a disgrace to Gwinnett County and Georgia,” Gwinnett Democratic Party Chairman Gabe Okoye told WSB-TV. “I call on Mr. Hunter to resign immediately. I call on all Democrats to contact Mr. Hunter with the same message.”
The commissioner admitted to WSB-TV that his remarks were inappropriate. “I didn’t mean it to be derogatory. I meant it to make him mad,” he stated to the news outlet.
Hunter added that it wasn’t until he stated getting calls on Monday that he reflected on his choice of words.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
White Georgia County Commissioner Refuses To Resign After Calling John Lewis A ‘Racist Pig’ was originally published on newsone.com