Stagnant wages and increasing rents are creating a housing affordability crisis for scores of Black and Hispanic families, reports Fortune magazine.
Based on a new report from Zillow, residents of predominantly Black communities paid about 44 percent of their income on rent in 2016—that’s up from 40 percent in 2011.
In Hispanic communities, rent consumes about 48 percent of income, compared to 41 percent five years ago.
That represents a significant housing affordability gap in comparison to those living in predominantly White communities, where residents pay closer to the recommended 30 percent of gross income on housing.
Boston has one of the largest housing affordability gaps. Rents consume about 71 percent of income in Black neighborhoods but just 35 percent in White communities.
Skylar Olsen, a senior economist for Zillow, told Fortune that stagnant wage growth is the main cause of the affordability crisis. Since 2011, wages have increased about 2.9 percent in Black neighborhoods but 5.4 percent in White communities.
Consequently, families stuck in low-income communities are unlikely to move out of public housing. If this trend continues, it will be impossible for them to save enough to purchase a home, save for retirement or put money away for emergencies.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Communities Of Color Spend Nearly Half Of Income On Rent was originally published on newsone.com