LeBron James‘ protest game is just as nice as his on-the-court game. The Cleveland Cavaliers point guard got some major “points” for his special sneakers, a black and white pair bearing the word “EQUALITY” in gold Capital letters on Sunday night.
The sneakers, also previously worn by James in all black as part of his LeBron 15 EQUALITY PE line, made a statement for social activism against Trump, CBS News reported. James rocked the shoes during his basketball game, which was about a mile from the White House. “This is a beautiful country and we’re never going to let one person dictate how beautiful and how powerful we are,” the four-time NBA MVP said.
James has been very vocal about his criticisms of Trump, like many other Black Americans. The basketball star called out the president and defended Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry after Mr. Trump said he revoked Curry’s invitation to the White House in August. In his defense, James referred to the president as a “bum” on Twitter and told his followers that Curry declined to meet with Trump in the first place.
The baller showed off his “EQUALITY” kicks after Nike launched a campaign by the same name in February, ESPN reported. Nike, who has a lifetime sponsorship deal with James, aims to use athletes’ “voice and the power of sport to inspire people to take action in their communities.” “I just wanted to keep the conversation going, keep the conversation going,” James previously told ESPN. “We know what we’re going through. We know what we went through as a nation, as a world [recently]. So I had an opportunity to use a platform for the greater good and keep the conversation going. Why not?”
The sneakers are PE or “player exclusive,” so pairs will not be sold to the public, said multiple Nike sources. However, Nike said earlier this year that it would donate $5 million in 2017 to various organizations (MENTOR, PeacePlayers International and more groups) that “advance equality in communities across the country” as part of the “EQUALITY” campaign.
Couples We Love: 23 Times LeBron & Savannah Were The Epitome Of Black Love
1. #RelationshipGoals: LeBron James & Savannah BrinsonSource:Instagram 1 of 23
2. When They’re Doing Simple Things Like Riding In The CarSource:Instagram 2 of 23
3. In This Anniversary PhotoSource:Instagram 3 of 23
4. When He Refers To Her As His QueenSource:Instagram 4 of 23
5. When He Took To Instagram To Ask Savannah To Be His ValentineSource:Instagram 5 of 23
6. When They’re Slaying On Their Way To The Red CarpetSource:Instagram 6 of 23
7. When They Party TogetherSource:Instagram 7 of 23
8. When They Motivate Each Other To Be BetterSource:Instagram 8 of 23
9. On Their First Date Night Since Daughter Zhuri Let Them Out The HouseSource:Instagram 9 of 23
10. When He Celebrates Their LoveSource:Instagram 10 of 23
11. When He Took Her To Greece For Her Push GiftSource:Instagram 11 of 23
12. When They’re Celebrating FriendsSource:Instagram 12 of 23
13. When They’re Hosting Fabulous PartiesSource:Instagram 13 of 23
14. When He Looks At Her Like ThisSource:Instagram 14 of 23
15. When He’s Showing Support Of Her BusinessSource:Instagram 15 of 23
16. When They’re Just ChillingSource:Instagram 16 of 23
17. When They Spend The Holidays Slaying In All Black EverythingSource:Instagram 17 of 23
18. When They Show Off Major PDASource:Instagram 18 of 23
19. When They Grab A Bite To EatSource:Instagram 19 of 23
20. On Vacation In FranceSource:Instagram 20 of 23
21. Jet-Setting Around The WorldSource:Instagram 21 of 23
22. On The Red CarpetSource:Instagram 22 of 23
23. In This ThrowbackSource:Instagram 23 of 23