Voting rights activist and lawyer Stacey Abrams further solidified her place in American history as a member of the Electoral College for the state of Georgia on Monday.
Abrams had a front-row seat as she conducted roll call for electors to cast their votes for President-elect Joe Biden. 538 electors in all 50 states and Washington, D.C., formally cast their votes for president and vice president Monday, with the majority confirming Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris.
“I am pleased to announce that Joseph R. Biden has received 16 votes for the president of the United States,” she said after the roll took place to a round of applause and cheers.
Abrams first expressed her excitement around being selected to the electoral college in November via a Tweet.
“Georgians decided, and as an elector, I will be proud to join 15 fellow Georgia Democrats in casting my vote for @JoeBiden, winner of Georgia’s 16 electoral votes and President-Elect of the United States,” she wrote.
Abrams is lending her voice to the Senate runoff race in Georgia where Republican Sens. David Perdue and Sen. Kelly Loeffler, will face off against Democratic candidates Jon Ossoff and Raphael Warnock, respectively. Abrams stumped for Ossoff and Warnock in the last several weeks.
The election is a highly watched race where Black women organizers and voters, in particular, are being asked to deliver the vote of the nation by supporting Ossoff and Warnock, progressive candidates who will undoubtedly change the face of the Senate.
Here Are All The Black People In Joe Biden's Cabinet And His Most Senior Advisers
1. Adewale Adeyemo, Deputy Treasury SecretarySource:Twitter 1 of 19
2. Gen. Lloyd Austin, Department of DefenseSource:Getty 2 of 19
3. Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms, vice chair of the Democratic National CommitteeSource:Getty 3 of 19
4. Kirsten Clarke, Assistant Attorney General, Civil Rights DivisionSource:Getty 4 of 19
5. Ashley Etienne, Kamala Harris’ Chief Communications Director5 of 19
6. Tina Flournoy, Vice President's Chief Of Staff6 of 19
7. Rep. Marcia Fudge, Housing and Urban DevelopmentSource:Getty 7 of 19
8. Joelle Gamble, National Economic CouncilSource:Courtesy of Biden-Harris Transition Team 8 of 19
9. Shuwanza Goff, Deputy Director Of The White House Office Of Legislative AffairsSource:Joe Biden Communications Coalitions 9 of 19
10. Jamie Harrison, DNC ChairSource:Getty 10 of 19
11. Karine Jean-Pierre, White House Deputy Press SecretarySource:Getty 11 of 19
12. Brenda Mallory, Council on Environmental Quality ChairpersonSource:Getty 12 of 19
13. Dr. Marcella Nunez-Smith, Co-Chair of Biden's Coronavirus Task Force13 of 19
14. Michael Regan, EPA14 of 19
15. Susan Rice, White House Domestic Policy Council DirectorSource:Getty 15 of 19
16. Cedric RichmondSource:Getty 16 of 19
17. Cecilia Rouse, Council of Economic Advisors chairpersonSource:Getty 17 of 19
18. Symone Sanders, Vice President's spokesperson18 of 19
19. Linda Thomas-Greenfield, UN AmbassadorSource:Getty 19 of 19
Stacey Abrams Helps Seal A Biden-Harris Victory As One Of Georgia’s Electoral Voters was originally published on newsone.com