Malawi is pronounced “muh·laa·wee” and is one of the 13 countries located in Southern Africa. The name Malawi means “flaming waters” and was taken from a tribal word that described how rays of sun glinted off Lake Nyasa. This country gained its independence on July 6, 1964 from Britain. This country is known for Lake Malawi which is the home to the largest number of fish species of any lake in the world. Continue reading below to learn more about the beautiful African country, Malawi.
What Does The Malawi Flag Represent?
- BLACK: represents the indigenous people of Africa
- RED: symbolizes the blood of the countries struggle
- GREEN: represents nature.
Where is Malawi located?
Facts About Malawi:
- Capital: Lilongwe
- Population: 6.9 million
- Nationality: Malawian
- Malawi made up of 3 regions
- Drinking age: 18 years old
- Side of road to drive on: Left
What Are The Official Languages of Malawi?
Chewa and English are the official languages of Malawi.
Learn How To Speak Chewa
What Is The Currency of Malawi?
Currency: Malawian kwacha is used in Malawi
$1 = K1031.71
$20 = K20634.14
$60 = K61902.42
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
What Are The Religions of Malawi?
Religion: In Malawi the main religions practiced are; Christianity (82%) and Islam (14%). Other religions include;
What Are The Traditional Foods of Malawi?
Places to visit in Malawi:
I hope this information has given you more insight into Malawi but there is so much more to learn! Visit their tourism website here to see more.
Also be sure to checkout articles on each of the 54 countries in Africa by clicking here: Countries of Africa
- Tunisia: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Sudan: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Morocco: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Egypt: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- South Sudan: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More