Tunisia is pronounced “too·nee·zhuh” and is one of the 6 countries located in North Africa. The name Tunisia means “to lay down” or “encampment”. This country gained its independence on March 20, 1956 from France and is known for its unique blend of Arab and Berber cultures and influence. According the 2022 census there are 24,735 Tunisian Americans in the United States. Continue reading below to learn more about the beautiful African country, Tunisia.
What Does The Tunisia Flag Represent?
- RED: represents the blood that the Tunisian people shed when they fought against the Ottoman Empire in 1574.
- WHITE: represents peace
- THE DISC: represents the sun and the power of the nation
- THE STAR: represents the five points represents one of the pillars of Islam;
- THE CRESCENT: a traditional symbol of Islam that represents the nation’s ancient religious heritage
Where is Tunisia located?
What Timezone is Tunisia in?
Tunisia is in Central European Standard Time. The capital of Tunisia, Tunis is 5 hours ahead of the east coast, 5 hours ahead of central standard time and 2 hours ahead of the west coast.
Facts About Tunisia:
- Capital: Tunis
- Population: 11 million
- Nationality: Tunisian
- Tunisia is made up of 24 governorates
- Political system: Tunisia has a presidential republic with a president serving as head of state, a prime minister as head of government, a unicameral parliament, and a civil law court system
- National symbol or animal: The Dromedary Camel
- Drinking age: 18 years old
- Side of road to drive on: Right (same as USA)
- Arabs, Berbers, and Turks are the three main ethnic groups in Tunisia
Watch the video below for more facts:
What Are The Official Languages of Tunisia?
Arabic is the official language of Tunisia. French & English are other spoken languages in this country.
What is the Currency in Tunisia?
Currency: The Tunisian dinar is the currency used in Tunisia
$1 = 3.12 TND
$20 = 62.48 TND
$60 = 187.41 TND
See More News About Tunisia:
Tunisia’s most famous music is maluf, which is played by a small band of violins, flutes, drums, and sitars.
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
What Are The Religions of Tunisia?
Islam is the main religion practiced in Tunisia. Other religions practiced are; Judaism and Christianity.
What Are The Traditional Foods of Tunisia?
What are the key Holidays Celebrated in Tunisia?
Independence Day: March 20th
Martyrs’ Day: April 9th
Labour Day: May 1st
Republic Day: July 25th
Women’s Day: August 13th
Evacuation Day: October 15th
Revolution Day: December 17th
Places to visit in Tunisia:
Is Tunisia Safe?
When traveling anywhere especially for the first time, you should be vigilant and take all possible precaution measures in order to minimize the risk of getting stolen from, hurt or put in danger.
The Top 3 Places To Live In Tunisia:
- La Marsa
I hope this information has given you more insight into Tunisia but there is so much more to learn! Visit their tourism website here to see more.
Also be sure to checkout articles on each of the 54 countries in Africa by clicking here: Countries of Africa
- Morocco: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- South Sudan: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Egypt: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Libya: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Algeria: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More