Sierra Leone is pronounced “see·eh·ruh lee·own” and is one of the 16 countries located in West Africa. The name Sierra Leone means “lion mountains”. This country gained it’s independence on April 27, 1961 from Britain. According to American Community Survey, there are 34,161 people from Sierra Leone that live in the United States. Continue reading below to learn more about the beautiful African country, Sierra Leone.
What Does The Sierra Leone Flag Represent?
- GREEN: represents the agriculture, mountains and natural resources.
- BLUE: the symbol of hope that the natural harbor in Freetown will make a contribution to peace in the world.
- WHITE: represents unity and justice
Where is Sierra Leone located?
What Timezone is Sierra Leone in?
Sierra Leone is in the Greenwich Mean Time. It is ahead the east coast by 4 hours.
Facts About Sierra Leone:
- Capital: Freetown
- Population: 7.5 Million
- Nationality: Sierra Leonean
- Drinking age: 18 years old
- Side of road to drive on: Right
What Are The Official Languages of Sierra Leone?
Krio and English are the official languages of Sierra Leone.
What is the Currency in Sierra Leone?
Sierra Leonean leone is the currency used in Sierra Leone.
United States Dollar to Sierra Leonean Leone Conversion
$1 = 13935.00
$20 = 278700.00
$60 = 836100.00
Popular music genres in Sierra Leone are Palm-wine music, Gumbe and Highlife.
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
What Are The Religions of Sierra Leone?
In Sierra Leone the religions practiced are; Islam and Christianity.
What Are The Traditional Foods of Sierra Leone?
What the Holidays Celebrated in Sierra Leone?
Sierra Leone Government celebrates Islamic, Christian and National Holidays.
- 1 January – New Year’s Day
- 27 April – Independence Day
- Good Friday and Easter Monday*
- 25 December – Christmas Day
- 26 December – Boxing Day
- Moulid Ul Nabi*
- Eld Ul Adha*
Places to visit in Sierra Leone:
- Bunce Island
- Gola Forest Reserve
Is Sierra Leone Safe?
Currently Sierra Leone is at a “Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution”
When traveling anywhere especially for the first time, you should be vigilant and take all possible precaution measures in order to minimize the risk of getting stolen from, hurt or put in danger.
I hope this information has given you more insight into Sierra Leone but there is so much more to learn! Visit their tourism website here to see more.
Also be sure to checkout articles on each of the 54 countries in Africa by clicking here: Countries of Africa
- Algeria: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Libya: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Tunisia: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Egypt: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- South Sudan: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More