South Africa is pronounced “sowth a·fruh·kuh” and is one of the 9 countries located in Southern Africa. This country got its name because of it’s location at the southern tip of Africa. This country is known for its abundant wildlife. According to the American Community Survey, as of 2021 there are 123,461 people from South Africa that live in the United States. Continue reading below to learn more about the beautiful African country, South Africa.
What Does The South Africa Flag Represent?
- RED: blood flowing in conflicts
- BLUE: sky
- GREEN: the territory of the country
- BLACK: Black people in Africa
- WHITE: European people
- YELLOW: Symbolizes gold from natural sources
Where is South Africa located?
[PHOTO of Country on the Map]
What Timezone is South Africa in?
South African is in the South Africa Standard Time.
Facts About South Africa
- Capitals: Cape Town, Pretoria, and Bloemfontein
- Population: 60.7 Million
- Nationality: South African
- South Africa is made up of 9 Provinces
- Political system: constitutional republic
- National symbols: King protea flower, real yellowwood tree, the Springbok, the Galjoen, and the Blue crane.
- Drinking age: 18
- Side of road to drive on: Left (opposite of the USA)
Why Does South Africa Have 3 Capitals?
What Are The Official Languages of South Africa?
South Africa has 11 official languages which are; English, Xhosa, Zulu, Southern Sotho, Venda, Tswana, Northern Sotho, Xitsonga, Swati, Afrikaans, and Ndebele.
Learn How To Speak Zulu
Learn How To Speak Xhosa
Learn How To Speak Xitsonga
Learn How To Speak Afrikaans
What is the Currency in South Africa?
South African Rand is used in South Africa
$1 = R16.78
$20 = R335.61
$60 = R1006.83
Popular music genres in South Africa are; Amapiano, House Music, Kwaito, Mbaqanga, Kwela, Isicathamiya and Gqom.
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
What Are The Religions of South Africa?
In South Africa the religions practiced are; Christian (80%), No Religious Affiliation (15%), and Other Religions including Muslim, Hindu, and Jewish (5%).
What Are The Traditional Foods of South Africa?
Places to visit in South Africa:
Here are a few places you should definitely visit while in this country:
- Table Mountain
Is South Africa Safe?
Currently South Africa is at “Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution”
When traveling anywhere especially for the first time, you should be vigilant and take all possible precaution measures in order to minimize the risk of getting stolen from, hurt or put in danger.
The Best Places To Live In South Africa:
I hope this information has given you more insight into South Africa but there is so much more to learn! Visit their tourism website here to see more.
Also be sure to checkout articles on each of the 54 countries in Africa by clicking here: Countries of Africa
- Tunisia: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Morocco: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Egypt: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Libya: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Sudan: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More