Niger is pronounced “n·eye·jer” and is one of the 16 countries located in West Africa. Niger was named after the Niger River that flows through the country and means ‘flowing water’ in Tuareg n’eghirren. This country gained its independence on August 3, 1960 from France. Niger is home to the largest protected area in Africa. Continue reading below to learn more about the beautiful African country, Niger.
What Does The Niger Flag Represent?
- Orange: symbolizes the Sahara Desert, which covers more than half the country.
- White: stands for purity and innocence
- Green: denotes lush green vegetation and fertile agricultural areas
Where is Niger located?
What Timezone is the Niger in?
Niger is in West Africa Standard Time Zone.
Facts About Niger:
- Capital: Niamey
- Population: 56 Million
- Nationality: Nigerien
- Niger is made up of 8 regions
- Drinking age: 18
- Side of road to drive on: Right
What Are The Official Languages of Niger?
French is the official language of Niger.
What Is The Currency of Niger?
Currency: West African CFA Franc is used in Niger
$1 = 644.14
$20 = 12882.74
$60 = 38648.23
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
What Are The Religions of Niger?
In Niger, Islam (99%) is the main religion practiced. Christianity is also practiced but only by 0.3% of the population.
What Are The Traditional Foods of Niger?
Some of the main dishes you should try from Niger are millet, rice, cassava, and sorghum.
Places to visit in Niger:
I hope this information has given you more insight into Niger but there is so much more to learn! Visit their tourism website here to see more.
Also be sure to checkout articles on each of the 54 countries in Africa by clicking here: Countries of Africa
- Algeria: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Libya: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Tunisia: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Egypt: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- South Sudan: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More