The Democratic Republic of São Tomé and Príncipe is pronounced “sow toe·may and prin·see·pay” and and is one of the 6 island nations of Africa. This country is made of 2 islands; São Tomé received its name after being discovered by Portuguese explorers on St Thomas Day and Príncipe received its name as a shorter version of the original Portuguese name of “Ilha do Principe” which means Isle of the Prince. São Tomé and Príncipe gained its independence on July 12, 1975 from Portugal. This country is 2nd smallest African country and home to the world’s smallest bird, the ibis. It’s known as “The Africa Galápagos”. Continue reading below to learn more about the beautiful African country, São Tomé and Príncipe.
What Does The São Tomé and Príncipe Flag Represent?
- RED TRIANGLE: represents equality and the independence movement.
- 2 BLACK STARS: reflect the African population living on the two principal islands of which the country is composed.
- GREEN: represents the luxurious vegetation of the islands
- YELLOW: represents the tropical sun
Where is São Tomé and Príncipe located?
What Timezone is São Tomé and Príncipe in?
São Tomé and Príncipe is in the Greenwich Mean Time Zone (GMT).
Facts About São Tomé and Príncipe:
- Capital: São Tomé
- Population: 227,000
- Nationality: São Tomean
- São Tomé and Príncipe is made up of 7 Administrative Districts
- Cocoa is the main crop of the island
- Drinking age: 18
- Side of road to drive on: Right
What Are The Official Languages of São Tomé and Príncipe?
Portuguese is the official language of São Tomé and Príncipe. In the video below you’ll learn how Portuguese is spoken in São Tomé and Príncipe. (turn on the captions for English translation)
What is the Currency in São Tomé and Príncipe?
Currency: São Tomé and Príncipe dobra is used as the currency in São Tomé and Príncipe
$1 = 20,628.23
$20 = 412,564.55
$60 = 1,237,693.64
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
What Are The Religions of São Tomé and Príncipe?
In São Tomé and Príncipe more than 85% of the population is Roman Catholic.
What Are The Traditional Foods of São Tomé and Príncipe?
Popular foods to try are; Calulu, São Tomé Peach, and Sonhos de banana. See the video below on how to make Calulu.
Places to visit in São Tomé and Príncipe:
American Citizens are able to visit São Tomé and Príncipe Visa-Free for up to 15 days. Here are a few places you should definitely visit while in this country:
- Praia Jalé
- Obô National Park
- Roça São João dos Angolares
Is São Tomé and Príncipe Safe?
Currently São Tomé and Príncipe is at a “Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions”
When traveling anywhere especially for the first time, you should be vigilant and take all possible precaution measures in order to minimize the risk of getting stolen from, hurt or put in danger.
The Best Places To Live In São Tomé and Príncipe:
I hope this information has given you more insight into São Tomé and Príncipe but there is so much more to learn! Visit their tourism website here to see more.
Also be sure to checkout articles on each of the 54 countries in Africa by clicking here: Countries of Africa
- Algeria: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Libya: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Tunisia: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Egypt: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- South Sudan: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More