Seychelles is pronounced “say·shelz” and is one of the 6 island nations of Africa. This country is made up of 115 islands in the Indian Ocean. Seychelles was named after Jean Moreau de Séchelles, Louis XV‘s Minister of Finance, in 1756 when the French set a Stone of Possession on the islands Mahé. This country gained its independence on June 29, 1976 from the British and is known as “the land of perpetual summer.” Continue reading below to learn more about the beautiful African country, Seychelles.
What Does The Seychelles Flag Represent?
- BLUE: depicts the sky and the sea that surrounds the Seychelles.
- YELLOW: is for the sun which gives light and life,
- RED: symbolises the people and their determination to work for the future in unity and love,
- WHITE: band represents social justice and harmony.
- GREEN: depicts the land and natural environment.
Where is Seychelles located?
What Timezone is Seychelles in?
Seychelles is in the Seychelles Time Zone. It is 8 hours ahead of eastern standard time.
Facts About Seychelles:
- Capital: Victoria
- Population: 99,258
- Nationality: Seychellois
- Seychelles is made up of 25 Districts
- Political system: multi-party political system with elections held every five years to elect a president
- National symbol: a shield supported by two Indo-Pacific sailfish
- Drinking age: 18
- Side of road to drive on: Left
Watch the video below for more facts:
What Are The Official Languages of Seychelles?
Seychellois Creole, French and English are the official languages spoken in Seychelles.
What is the Currency in Seychelles?
Currency: The Seychellois rupee or roupi is the currency used in The Seychelles.
$1 = 12.87 Seychellois Rupees
$20 = 257.39 Seychellois Rupees
$60 = 772.16 Seychellois Rupees
See More News About Seychelles:
The most popular music genres in Seychelles is Seggae and Mouggae. Seggae is a combination of Reggae and Sega which is Mauritian folk music. Mouggae is a fusion of Reggae and Moutya which is traditional African dance. Checkout more music from Seychelles in the playlist below.
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
What Are The Religions of Seychelles?
In Seychelles the religions practiced are; Roman Catholicism (82%), Anglican Christian (6.4%), Hinduism (2%) and Islam (1%).
What Are The Traditional Foods of Seychelles?
Some popular dishes of Seychelles is Poison ek Diri, Bringel, Breadfruit chips and Braised and fried bananas (there are 15 types of Bananas in Seychelles).
What the Holidays Celebrated in Seychelles?
Independence Day: June 29
Places to visit in Seychelles:
Outside of each of the 115 islands, here a few other places to visit while in Seychelles;
Morne Seychellois National Park
Ste Anne Marine National Park
Is Seychelles Safe?
When traveling anywhere especially for the first time, you should be vigilant and take all possible precaution measures in order to minimize the risk of getting stolen from, hurt or put in danger.
The Top 3 Places To Live In Seychelles
I hope this information has given you more insight into Seychelles but there is so much more to learn! Visit their tourism website here to see more.
Also be sure to checkout articles on each of the 54 countries in Africa by clicking here: Countries of Africa
- Morocco: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- South Sudan: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Egypt: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Libya: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Algeria: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More