Liberia is pronounced “lai bee ree uh” and is one of the 16 countries located in West Africa. This country gained its independence on July 26, 1847 from the American Colonization Society. Liberia has never subjected to colonial rule and is Africa’s oldest republic. Its name means “land of freedom” referring to its settlement in the early 1800s by freeborn and former enslaved Black Americans. Continue reading below to learn more about the beautiful African country, Liberia.
What Does The Liberia Flag Represent?
- 11 STRIPES: represents the 11 men who signed the Liberian Declaration of Independence
- RED: represents the blood shed on the battlefield
- WHITE: represents purity
- BLUE: represents the African continent
- WHITE STAR: represents the first independent republic in Africa
Where is Liberia located?
Facts About Liberia:
- Capital: Monrovia
- Population: 4.6 Million
- Nationality: Liberian
- Liberia is made up of 15 Administrative Divisions
- Drinking age: 18 years old
- Side of road to drive on: Right
What Are The Official Languages of Liberia?
English is the official language of Liberia. Other languages spoken in this country include; Kpelle (20.3%), Bassa (13.4%), Grebo (10%), Bio (8%), Mano (7.9%), Kru (6%), Loma (5.1%), Kissi (4.8%) plus more!
What Is The Currency of Liberia?
Liberian Dollar is the currency used in Liberia
$1 = 153.55
$20 = 3071.00
$60 = 9213.00
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
What Are The Religions of Liberia?
Religion: In Liberia, the 2 main religions practiced are; Christianity (86%) and Islam (12%).
What Are The Traditional Foods of Liberia?
Liberia is currently at a “Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution”
Places to visit in Liberia:
I hope this information has given you more insight into Liberia but there is so much more to learn! Visit their tourism website here to see more.
Also be sure to checkout articles on each of the 54 countries in Africa by clicking here: Countries of Africa
- Algeria: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Libya: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Tunisia: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Egypt: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- South Sudan: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More