Mauritius is pronounced “mur·i·shuhs” and is one of the 6 island nations of Africa. This country gained its independence on March 12, 1968 from Britain. Mauritius is a island nation known for it’s beaches, lagoons and reefs with over 700 species of indigenous plants. This country is ranked as one of the best beach and honeymoon locations in the world. Continue reading below to learn more about the beautiful African country, Mauritius.
What Does The Mauritius Flag Represent?
- RED: represents the bloodshed, independence and freedom,
- BLUE: represents the Indian Ocean that surrounds the island
- YELLOW: represents the light of independence shining over the nation
- GREEN: represents the agriculture and lush vegetation of the nation based on its subtropical weather.
Where is Mauritius located?
Facts About Mauritius:
- Capital: Port Louis
- Population: 1.2 Million
- Nationality: Mauritian
- Mauritius made up of 9 districts
- Drinking age: 18 years old
- Side of road to drive on: Left
What Are The Official Languages of Mauritius?
English and Mauritian Creole are the main languages of Mauritius.
What Is The Currency of Mauritius?
Mauritian Rupee is the currency used in Mauritius.
$1 = Rs 46.00
$20 = Rs 919.92
$60 = Rs 2759.76
Popular music genres in Mauritius are Sega and Santé engagé.
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
What Are The Religions of Mauritius?
In Mauritius, the 2 main religions practiced are; Hinduism (49%) and Christianity (32%). Other religions include; Islam (17%)
What Are The Traditional Foods of Mauritius?
Places to visit in Mauritius:
Americans are able to visit Mauritius Visa-Free. Here are a few places you should definitely visit while in this country:
- 8 waterfalls – Black River Gorg national Park
Is Mauritius Safe?
Currently Mauritius at a “Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions”
The Best Places To Live In Mauritius:
I hope this information has given you more insight into Mauritius but there is so much more to learn! Visit their tourism website here to see more.
Also be sure to checkout articles on each of the 54 countries in Africa by clicking here: Countries of Africa
- Morocco: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- South Sudan: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Egypt: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Libya: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Algeria: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More