Kenya is pronounced “ken·yuh” and is one of the 10 countries located in East Africa. This country is named after Mount Kenya or ‘Kirinyaga‘, the ‘Mountain of Whiteness’. Kenya gained its independence on December 12, 1963 from Britain. This country is known for being the world’s best safari destination. Continue reading below to learn more about the beautiful African country, Kenya.
What Does The Kenya Flag Represent?
- BLACK: represents the people of Kenya
- RED: represents the bloodshed in the fight for independence
- GREEN: represents the fertility of the land
- WHITE: represents peace
- MASSAI SHIELD & SPEARS: represent the will to defend freedom
Where is Kenya located?
Facts About Kenya:
- Capital: Nairobi
- Population: 47 Million
- Nationality: Kenyan
- Kenya made up of 8 provinces
- Drinking age: 18 years old
- Side of road to drive on: Left
What Are The Official Languages of Kenya?
Swahili and English are the official languages of Kenya. The most common languages are Kikuyu, Dholuo and Kamba. There are over 60 languages spoken in Kenya.
What Is The Currency of Kenya?
Shiling (KES) is the currency used in Kenya.
$1 = 119.72
$20 = 2394.30
$60 = 7182.91
Some of the popular music genres in Kenya are; Genge, Benga music, Kalpop, and Taarab.
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
What Are The Religions of Kenya?
Religion: In Kenya, the 2 main religions practiced are; Christianity (85%) and Islam (11%).
What Are The Traditional Foods of Kenya?
Places to visit in Kenya:
I hope this information has given you more insight into Kenya but there is so much more to learn! Visit their tourism website here to see more.
Also be sure to checkout articles on each of the 54 countries in Africa by clicking here: Countries of Africa
- Morocco: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- South Sudan: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Egypt: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Libya: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Algeria: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More