Benin is pronounced “buh·neen” and is one of the 16 countries located in West Africa. This country gained its independence on August 1, 1960 and was renamed from its original name, Dahomey in 1975. Continue reading below to learn more about the beautiful African country, Benin.
What Does The Benin Flag Represent?
- GREEN: represent the hope of a new democracy
- RED: represents the courage of the ancestors
- YELLOW: represents the treasures of the nation
Where is Benin located?
What Timezone is the Benin in?
West Africa Standard Time
Facts About Benin:
- Capital: Porto-Novo
- Population: 11.5 Million
- 65% of the counties population is under 25 years old
- This country is made up of 5 natural regions
What Are The Official Languages of Benin?
French is the official language of Benin. Other languages spoken in this country include; Fon, Yom, Yoruba, Baatonum and Borgu Fulfulde.
What Is The Currency of Benin?
Currency: West African CFA franc (XOF) is the currency used in Benin
$1 = 644.14
$20 = 12882.74
$60 = 38648.23
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
What Are The Religions of Benin?
Religion: In Benin the 2 main religions practiced are; Christianity (53%) and Islam (24%).
What Are The Traditional Foods of Benin?
Kuli-kuli is Benin’s national dish.
Is Benin Safe?
As of 2023, Benin is at a Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution
Places to visit in Benin:
3 cities you should visit while in Benin are; Cotonou, Ouidah and Porto Novo.
I hope this information has given you more insight into Benin but there is so much more to learn! Visit their tourism website here to see more.
Also be sure to checkout articles on each of the 54 countries in Africa by clicking here: Countries of Africa
- Sudan: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Libya: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Morocco: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Tunisia: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Algeria: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More