The FBI says the gunman who killed 12 people at the Washington D.C. Navy Yard yesterday had access to the highly secure military installation as a defense contractor and used a valid pass to enter. He’s been identified as former Navy Reservist Aaron Alexis.
It has been confirmed that Alexis had been suffering a host of serious mental issues — including paranoia, a sleep disorder and hearing voices. The officials say the Veterans Administration had been treating Aaron Alexis for his mental problems since August.
However, the Navy had not declared him mentally unfit, which would have caused him to lose his security clearance.
Police say he’s believed to have acted alone, but his motive remains a mystery or could it be acts of discrimination within the Navy?
Investigators say the gunman in the Navy Yard shootings is a study in contradictions; Aaron Alexis was a former Navy Reservist, a Defense Department contractor, a convert to Buddhism who was taking an online course in aeronautics.
The Latest News Headlines, Traffic and Weather: Follow @news92fm
But, his father once told detectives in Seattle his son had anger management problems and he had complained about the Navy and being a victim of discrimination. Alexis had also had run-ins with police in Fort Worth over shootings at his home.
Still a key unanswered question—how did the shooter get the weapons onto the secure site?
ABC’s Vic Ratner reports:
It’s a secure facility in a secure navy yard, but officials tell us 15,000 people come to work in the navy yard every day – they drive up to the front gate – flash identification – and additional credentials are needed to get into the building where the shooting occurred. No word on how the shooter got weapons onto the site.
The 12 deceased shooting victims range in age from 46 to 73 years old, Washington D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray said at an evening news conference on Monday. Officials are still notifying the families of about half of the 12 people who were killed, he said.
“We have no evidence that any active military are amongst the victims,”Metropolitan Police Chief Cathy Lanier said.
Officials said three others suffered gunshot wounds and five more people suffered other injuries.
Police identified the seven victims whose families had been notified as: Michael Arnold, 59; Sylvia Fraiser, 53; Kathy Gaarde, 62; John Roger Johnson, 73; Frank Kohler, 50; Kenneth Bernard Proctor, 46; and Vishnu Pandit, 61.
Aaron Alexis Was Being Treated For Mental Illness Since August [PHOTO] was originally published on news92fm.com