The third season of PBS’ hit show Finding Your Roots continues to chronicle the fascinating family stories of celebrities, politicians, activists and more. In this week’s heart wrenching episode, Dr. Henry Louis Gates uncovers the emotional history of both Sean “Puffy” Combs and LL Cool J‘s families. They learn of of their mysterious genetic history that shakes them both to their cores.
Gates talks to the Tom Joyner Morning Show about the latest episode and talks about one of his favorites stories with comedian Keenan Ivory Wayans.
“It’s our biggest DNA discovery ever made. LL Cool J is very much into boxing. It turns out his mother and father split. He was raised by his grandparents. We found out through DNA that his grandmother had been adopted in 1946 and she had no idea. We found her mother and connected them. They’re fathers were famous boxers,” he said.
Click the link above to hear the entire interview.
Famous Folks Who Were Adopted, Orphaned Or Have Adopted
1. NFL wide receiver Demaryius Thomas was raised by his aunt Shirley and her husband after his mother was incarcerated for intent to distribute cocaine when he was 11-years-old. His father was serving overseas in the Army..1 of 7
2. Keegan Michael Key was adopted as a child by two social workers. Later on in life her met his mother and found out he had two half brothers who died.Source:false 2 of 7
3. Keyshia Cole was adopted at the age of two by family friends Leon and Yvonne Cole which is where her last name comes from. She met her biological father boxer Virgil Hunter in 2016 after a paternity test.Source:Getty 3 of 7
4. Gary Coleman He was adopted as a small child by W. G. Coleman, a fork-lift operator, and Edmonia Sue, a nurse practitioner (Photo Credit: Facebook)4 of 7
5. Jesse Jackson was adopted by his stepfather at the age of one. He took his stepfathers last name. (AP)5 of 7
6. Viola Davis Julius Tennon adopted their little girl Genesis as newborn in October of 2011Source:false 6 of 7
7. MadonnaSource:false 7 of 7
(Photo Source: Courtesy)
‘Finding Your Roots’ Uncovers LL Cool J and Sean ‘Puffy’ Combs’ Emotional Genetic History was originally published on blackamericaweb.com