Laila Ali is arguably one of Muhammad Ali‘s most famous daughters, but the boxing champ is quick to shoot down any notions of her being a Daddy’s girl. Just hours before the family will bury her 74-year-old father and a day after his Islamic prayer services, she talks to the Tom Joyner Morning Show about her father’s legacy, reveals who The Champ’s favorite daughter is and more.
Did he really plan his own funeral?
“My father knew exactly how he wanted it to go. So may people love my father and want to be there and want to say their goodbyes. We’re all sad of course, I think everyone is holding up pretty well.”
How he dealt with having Parkinsons:
“I know my father well enough to know that he believe everything can happen for a reason. Anybody can get sick…and we can’t lean on our own understanding. He was always strong, even through his sickness. He didn’t hide and he wasn’t ashamed.”
Click the link above to hear the entire interview.
The Champ is Here! Our 10 Favorite Muhammad Ali Quotes
1. I know where I'm going and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want.Source:Tumblr 1 of 9
2. I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark.Source:Tumblr 2 of 9
3. Silence is golden when you can't think of a good answer.Source:Tumblr 3 of 9
4. A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty wasted thirty years of his life.Source:PR Photos 4 of 9
5. Rivers, ponds, lakes and streams - they all have different names, but they all contain water. Just as religions do - they all contain truths.Source:PR Photos 5 of 9
6. Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.Source:PR Photos 6 of 9
7. It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe.Source:PR Photos 7 of 9
8. He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.Source:Instagram 8 of 9
9. We have one life; it soon will be past; what we do for God is all that will last.Source:Instagram 9 of 9
(Photo Source: AP)
Laila Ali: ‘Believe It Or Not I’m Not A Daddy’s Girl’ was originally published on blackamericaweb.com