90-year-old Opal Lee is walking to D.C to urge the US Congress to make Juneteenth a National Day of Observance, before President Obama leaves office.
“I started my walk September 1st. I started out thinking I need to see President Obama and ask him why. In all of the eight years he’s been in office he hasn’t mentioned the 19th of June. I figure if an old lady started walking he’d let me talk to him,” Lee said.
Click the link above to hear the entire interview and find more information on how to support Opal’s cause here.
Celebrating Celebrities From Texas
1. Debbie Allen is from HoustonSource:PRPhotos.com 1 of 11
2. Usher was born in DallasSource:Robb D. Cohen/Invision/AP 2 of 11
3. David and Tamela Mann are from Ft. WorthSource:Sir Jones / PRPhotos.com 3 of 11
4. Loni Love is from HoustonSource:Taylor Hill/Getty Images 4 of 11
5. Jill Marie Jones is from DallasSource:Aaron J. Thornton / PR Photos 5 of 11
6. Lil Twist is from DallasSource:Santiago Interiano / PRPhotos.com 6 of 11
7. Brittney Griner is from HoustonSource:AP Photo/Carlos Osorio 7 of 11
8. Grant Hill is from DallasSource:AP Photo/Colin E. Braley 8 of 11
9. Kirk Franklin is from Ft. WorthSource:Sir Jones / PRPhotos.com 9 of 11
10. Jamie Foxx is from TerrellSource:Charles Sykes/Invision/AP 10 of 11
11. Forest Whitaker is from LongviewSource:Andrew H. Walker/Getty Images 11 of 11
(Photo Source: Courtesy)
90-Year-Old Opal Lee Is Walking From Texas To DC – Find Out Why was originally published on blackamericaweb.com