Twitter was in a frenzy on Wednesday after news spread that President-elect Donald Trump was selected as TIME’s “Person of the Year.” The publication selects an individual who had the most influence on pivotal events throughout the year, despite whether they are perceived as good or bad. “It’s a great honor,” said Trump. “It means a lot, especially me growing up reading Time magazine. And it’s a very important magazine, and I’ve been lucky enough to be on the cover many times this year — and last year. But I consider this a very, very great honor.” Many people took to Twitter to share their dismay about TIME’s selection. “Trump is Time’s Person of the Year. But I’m guessing Hillary got more votes #GetIt #ThatsWhatHappenedWithTheOtherThing,” posted one user. “#TimeMagazine is more worried about Trumpy Bullies than morals. #Ridiculous A spokesman for KKK is NOT the Person of the Year, duh! #DQTrump,” posted another. Read more.
Ohio Passes Anti-Abortion Legislation
Ohio passed a legislation on Tuesday night that will change the course of reproductive rights within the state. The House and Senate Republicans passed a law that will put a ban on abortion after six weeks of pregnancy. Under the new law, physicians who perform abortions after a heartbeat is detected could face a year behind bars. Pro-abortion advocates believe that the move is taking steps backward in regards to women’s healthcare. “After years of passing anti-abortion laws under the guise of protecting women’s health and safety, they lay bare their true motives: to ban abortion in the state of Ohio,” said Planned Parenthood Spokeswoman Dawn Laguens. Republican political leaders see the decision as a major win. “A new president, new Supreme Court appointees change the dynamic, and there was consensus in our caucus to move forward,” said Ohio Senate President Keith Faber. The law is the most extreme abortion ban in the nation. It will now be reviewed by Gov. John Kasich (R). Read more.
Missing Navy Wife’s Body Discovered In San Diego Bay
A body that was discovered in the San Diego Bay in California has been identified as Elizabeth Sullivan, a Navy wife and mother of two. According to reports, Sullivan was last seen on October 13, 2014. Her body was found in the water on October 4. On Wednesday, investigators confirmed her identity. Law enforcement officials will continue to investigate what caused her death. “Our goal is to solve this case, and it’s only a small part in our effort to figure out what happened, but being able to (tell the family) — at least there’s a bit of closure,” San Diego police Lt. Mike Holden said in a statement. Read more.
TV One Unveils ‘Unsung’ Line-Up
TV One has unveiled the dynamic stories that will be featured on the next season of Unsung. The show’s tenth season, which is slated to kick off in January, will delve into the stories of music artists SWV, Case, Dave Hollister, Fat Joe, and Lenny Williams. There will also be a special tribute show dedicated to “The Godfather of Soul” James Brown. “’Unsung’s in-depth first-person interviews, the participation of family and friends, the attention to detail invested into sharing each artist’s story and, of course, the music are the staples that have made this series ‘Must-See TV,’” said Brad Siegel, TV One President. “We have a loyal viewing audience who can attest to the fact that once you watch five minutes, you’ll hear something about your favorite artist you didn’t know before and then you’re hooked! There is the reason that after 129 episodes and nine seasons Unsung is still TV One’s most anticipated series.” The first episode of the new season, which will feature the story behind the music group SWV, will air on January 4 at 8 p.m. ET. Read more.
Whoopi Goldberg To Produce Harlem Crime Drama For Bravo
After announcing that she “probably” will be leaving The View, actress Whoopi Goldberg is already focused on her next venture. According to reports, Goldberg currently has a show in the works that will air on Bravo. The drama, which will reportedly be based in Harlem, will capture the chronicles of a crime boss who reunites with her son who faked his death as a teen. Goldberg will executive produce the project with Tom Leonardis under her One Ho Productions. The script will be penned by Amitabh Klemm. There is no word on what the name of the project will be or when it will make its debut. Read more.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
NEWS ROUNDUP: Twitter Melts Down After TIME Names Trump Person Of The Year…AND MORE was originally published on newsone.com