The announcement was made on Friday morning by Homeland Security and Counterterrorism Adviser Lisa Monaco during a Christian Science Monitor breakfast, according to CNN.
“The President has directed the Intelligence Community to conduct a full review of what happened during the 2016 election process. It is to capture lessons learned from that and to report to a range of stakeholders,” Monaco said. “This is consistent with the work that we did over the summer to engage Congress on the threats that we were seeing.”
Several leaks over the course of the summer revealed documents and internal emails shared among Democratic National Convention members and Clinton campaign officials, which many believe swayed the outcome of the election.
The investigation is expected to be completed ahead of January 20, Donald Trump’s first official day in office.
Trump has staunchly denied Russia’s involvement in the hack, even after senior officials from U.S. intelligence and homeland security agencies announced Russian government leaders ordered hackers to infiltrate top-level servers to release information interfering with November’s election, The Wall Street Journal reports.
In recent weeks, congressional lawmakers on both sides of the aisle have amplified efforts to propose legislation for a 9/11-like panel to head investigation efforts.
“I’m going after Russia in every way you can go after Russia,” Senator Lindsay Graham said in an interview with CNN. “I think they’re one of the most destabilizing influences on the world stage, I think they did interfere with our elections, and I want Putin personally to pay a price.”
Monaco said the findings would be shared with Congress, but remained mum on whether the report would be available to the general public.
10 Reasons Why We Are Thankful For President Barack Obama
1. We’ll never forget the moment President Obama said Trayvon Martin could have been his son.Source: 1 of 9
2. And let’s not forget President Obama was the man behind capturing and killing Al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden.Source: 2 of 9
3. He also rejoiced when the Supreme Court ruled in favor of protecting same-sex marriage.Source: 3 of 9
4. He always gets his hands a little dirty.Source: 4 of 9
5. He genuinely, wholeheartedly, loves the kids.Source: 5 of 9
6. Plus, he’s all about b-ball.Source: 6 of 9
7. He made two of our favorite players the happiest men on Earth.Source: 7 of 9
8. … And what a beautiful example for men on how to treat the ladies in your life.Source: 8 of 9
9. There will never be another as suave as President Obama & for that alone, we’re thankful.Source: 9 of 9
Obama Administration Orders Probe Into Russia Election Hack Charges was originally published on hellobeautiful.com