South Sudan is pronounced “sowth soo·dan” and is one of the 10 countries located in East Africa. It is one of the newest countries of Africa receiving it’s name after it’s independence from Sudan. The name Sudan means derives from the Arabic bilad al-sudan, which means “land of the blacks.” This country gained its independence on July 9, 2011 from Sudan. As of 2007, according to former Ambassador Ezekiel Lol Gatkuoth, there are over 100,000 people of South Sudan decent living in the United States. Continue reading below to learn more about the beautiful African country, South Sudan.
What Does The South Sudan Flag Represent?
- BLACK: Represents the people of South Sudan.
- RED: Represents blood that was shed for the independence of the country.
- GREEN: Represents the country’s agricultural, natural wealth, land, as well as progress.
- WHITE: Represents South Sudan’s peace attained after many years of the liberation struggle.
Where is South Sudan located?
What Timezone in South Sudan in?
South Sudan is in the Central Africa Time. The capital of South Sudan, Juba is 6 hours ahead of the east coast, 7 hours ahead of central standard time and hours ahead of the west coast.
Facts About South Sudan:
- Capital: Juba
- Population: 10.75 million
- Nationality: South Sudanese
- South Sudan is made up of 10 states; Central Equatoria, Western Equatoria, Eastern Equatoria, Jonglei, Unity, Upper Nile, Lakes, Warrap, Western Bahr el Ghazal, and Northern Bahr el Ghazal
- Political system: Republic
- National symbol:African fish eagle standing against a shield and a spear representing ‘vision, strength, resilience and majesty’
- Drinking age: Alcohol limited and/or forbidden
- Side of road to drive on: Right (same as the USA)
See more facts in the video below:
What Are The Official Languages of South Sudan?
English is the official language of South Sudan but the national languages are Arabic, Luo, Dinka, Nuer, Murle and Pazande.
Learn Luo in the video series below:
Learn Dinka from the YouTube Channel below:
Learn Nuer in the video below:
Learn Murle in the video below:
Learn Pazande in the video below:
What is the Currency in South Sudan?
South Sudanese pound is the currency used in South Sudan.
$1 = 130.26 SSP
$20 = 2,605.20 SSP
$60 = 7,815.60 SSP
Some of the popular artist from South Sudan are;
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
What Are The Religions of South Sudan?
Christianity is the most common religion in South Sudan.
What Are The Traditional Foods of South Sudan?
Popular dishes in South Sudan are; Kissra (South Sudan’s national dish which is a type of sorghum pancake), Mandazi (fried pastry), Wala-wala (millet porridge), Aseeda (sorghum porridge), Gurassa (yeasted pancake), Kajaik (fish stew), Ful sudani (peanut candy), Tamia (falafel), Ful medames, Kombo, Goat meat soup and Molokhia.
What the Holidays Celebrated in South Sudan?
Independence Day: July 9th
Places to visit in South Sudan:
Tourist spots: Places to visit in South Sudan
- Boma National Park
Is South Sudan Safe?
When traveling anywhere especially for the first time, you should be vigilant and take all possible precaution measures in order to minimize the risk of getting stolen from, hurt or put in danger.
I hope this information has given you more insight into South Sudan but there is so much more to learn! Visit their tourism website here to see more.
Also be sure to checkout articles on each of the 54 countries in Africa by clicking here: Countries of Africa
- Algeria: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Libya: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Tunisia: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Egypt: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- South Sudan: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More