Mozambique is pronounced “mow·zam·beek” and is one of the 9 countries located in Southern Africa. This countries original name by the Portuguese was Moçambique after the Island of Mozambique. It derived from Mussa Bin Bique or Mussa Ibn Malik who was an Arab trader who allegedly first visited the island. This country gained its independence on June 25, 1975 from Portugal. Continue reading below to learn more about the beautiful African country, Mozambique.
What Does The Mozambique Flag Represent?
- Green: the riches of the land
- White: peace
- Black: represents the continent of Africa
- Red: represents the bloodshed during the fight for independence
- The AK-47 represents both vigilance and defence of the nation
Where is Mozambique located?
What Timezone is Mozambique in?
Central Africa Time
Facts About Mozambique:
- Capital: Maputo
- Population: 31 Million
- Nationality: Mozambican
- Mozambique made up of 10 provinces
- Drinking age: 18 years old
- Side of road to drive on: Left
What Are The Official Languages of Mozambique?
Portuguese is the official language of Mozambique.
What is the Currency in Mozambique?
Currency: Mozambique metical (MZM) is the currency used in Mozambique.
$1 = 63.83 MZM
$20 = 1276.60 MZM
$60 = 3829.80 MZM
Marrabenta is a popular style of Mozambican dance music combining traditional Mozambican dance rhythms with Portuguese folk music.
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
What Are The Religions of Mozambique?
In Mozambique the 2 main religions practiced are; Christianity (58%) and Islam (18%).
What Are The Traditional Foods of Mozambique?
Some of the traditional dishes of Mozambique are; Xima and Piri-piri.
Places to visit in Mozambique:
Is Mozambique Safe?
Currently Mozambique is a “Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution”
I hope this information has given you more insight into Mozambique but there is so much more to learn! Visit their tourism website here to see more.
Also be sure to checkout articles on each of the 54 countries in Africa by clicking here: Countries of Africa
- Morocco: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Algeria: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Sudan: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Tunisia: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Egypt: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More