Lesotho is pronounced “luh·sue·too” and landlocked in South Africa. Lesotho’s name means “land of the Sotho.” The Sotho people are a Bantu nation native to southern Africa, they are also known as the Basuto or Basotho. Lesotho gained its independence on October 4, 1966 from Great Britain. This country is one of the three remaining Kingdoms on the continent of Africa and is one of 3 enclaved countries in the world (Enclaved countries are those completely surrounded by another country’s land). Continue reading below to learn more about the beautiful African country, Lesotho.
What Does The Lesotho Flag Represent?
- BLUE: represents rain
- WHITE: represents peace
- GREEN: represents prosperity
- BLACK MOKOROTLO: a Basotho hat that represents the indigenous people
Where is Lesotho located?
Lesotho is located in Southern Africa surrounded by South Africa.
Facts About Lesotho:
- Capital: Maseru
- Population: 2.1 Million
- The Lesotho blanket is worn as a status symbol
- The lowest recorded temperature in Lesotho was -27 Degrees C
- Nationality: Basotho
- Lesotho made up of 3 regions
- Drinking age: 21 years old
- Side of road to drive on: Left
What Are The Official Languages of Lesotho?
Sesotho and English are the Official languages of Lesotho.
What Is The Currency of Lesotho?
The Loti and South African Rand are the currencies used in Lesotho.
$1 = 16.80
$20 = 336.00
$60 = 1008.00
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
What Are The Religions of Lesotho?
In Lesotho the religions practiced are; Roman Catholic (45%), Lesotho Evangelicals (26%) and Anglican/Christian groups (19%)
What Are The Traditional Foods of Lesotho?
Places to visit in Lesotho:
Americans are able to visit Central African Republic Visa-Free. If you like skiing, Lesotho is the perfect place for you visit! Take a look at the video below…
I hope this information has given you more insight into Lesotho but there is so much more to learn! Visit their tourism website here to see more.
Also be sure to checkout articles on each of the 54 countries in Africa by clicking here: Countries of Africa
- Algeria: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Libya: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Tunisia: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Egypt: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- South Sudan: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More