Mauritania is pronounced “more·uh·tay·nee·uh” and is one of the 16 countries located in West Africa. This country gained its independence on November 28, 1960 from France. Mauritania was the last country in the world to abolish slavery in 1981. The name Mauritania derived from the Latin word Mauretania which means “west.” Continue reading below to learn more about the beautiful African country, Mauritania.
What Does The Mauritania Flag Represent?
- GREEN: is a significant color in the Islamic religion, the main religion of the country.
- GOLD: is thought to represent the Sahara Desert. The crescent and star are traditional Islamic symbols.
- RED: the red stripes were added to the flag in 2017 and represent “the efforts and sacrifices that the people of Mauritania will keep consenting, to the price of their blood, to defend their territory”
Where is Mauritania located?
Facts About Mauritania:
- Capital: Nouakchott
- Population: 4.3 Million
- Mauritania was the last country to abolish slavery in 1981
- Nationality: Mauritanian
- Mauritania made up of 13 Wilayas
- Drinking age: 18 years old
- Side of road to drive on: Right
What Are The Official Languages of Mauritania?
Arabic is the official language of Mauritania.
What Is The Currency of Mauritania?
Currency: Ouguiya is the currency used in Mauritania.
$1 = 37.73
$20 = 754.50
$60 = 2263.50
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
What Are The Religions of Mauritania?
In Mauritania, Islam is the main religion practiced.
What Are The Traditional Foods of Mauritania?
Places to visit in Mauritania:
Mauritania is one of the least visited countries in the world.
I hope this information has given you more insight into Mauritania but there is so much more to learn! Visit their tourism website here to see more.
Also be sure to checkout articles on each of the 54 countries in Africa by clicking here: Countries of Africa
- South Sudan: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Egypt: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Tunisia: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Sudan: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Morocco: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More