Namibia is pronounced “nuh·mi·bee·uh” and is one of the 9 countries located in Southern Africa. This country gained its independence on March 21, 1990 from South Africa. This country is known as the “Soul of Africa” and for one of the world’s most extensive meteorite showers. The Gibeon Meteorite Shower is the largest known meteorite shower on Earth. Continue reading below to learn more about the beautiful African country, Namibia.
What Does The Namibia Flag Represent?
- Sun: symbolizes life and energy and the golden color represents the warmth and the plains of the Namib Desert.
- Blue: represents the sky, the Atlantic Ocean, Namibia’s marine resources and the importance of rain and water.
- Red: represents the Namibian people, their heroism and their determination to build a future of equal opportunity for all.
- White: Peace and Unity
- Green: vegetation and agricultural resources
Where is Namibia located?
Facts About Namibia:
- Capital: Windhoek
- Population: 2.6 Million
- Nationality: Namibian
- Namibia made up of 14 regions
- Drinking age: 18 years old
- Side of road to drive on: Left
What Are The Official Languages of Namibia?
The languages spoken in Namibia are; Oshiwambo aka Ovambo, Khoekhoegowab aka Khoekhoe, Afrikaans, Otjiherero aka Herero, RuKwangali aka Kwangali, siLozi aka Lozi and English.
What Is The Currency of Namibia?
Currency: Namibian Dollar and South African Rand are used as currencies in Namibia
$1 = N$16.80
$20 = N$336.00
$60 = N$1008.00
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
What Are The Religions of Namibia?
In Namibia, Christianity (88%) is the main religion practiced.
What Are The Traditional Foods of Namibia?
Places to visit in Namibia:
Americans are able to visit Namibia Visa-Free for trips fewer than 90 days. Here are a few places you should definitely visit while in this country:
I hope this information has given you more insight into Namibia but there is so much more to learn! Visit their tourism website here to see more.
Also be sure to checkout articles on each of the 54 countries in Africa by clicking here: Countries of Africa
- Morocco: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- South Sudan: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Egypt: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Libya: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More
- Algeria: Entertainment, Food, Languages, Places To Visit + More